Sunday 28 September 2014

Gone Girl

author: Gillian Flynne
published: 2012



plot: 
Who are you?
What have we done to each other?
These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they weren't made by him. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?

what I liked: The idea of dividing the story into her and his perspective works well, the writing is fluid and the language precise and convincing. Couldn´t put it down towards the end...

what I didn´t like:...but then I was "surprised" by the anti-climatic ending. The book is divided into two halves and the first one is a bit slow-going and overall it is not a traditional thriller.

verdict: It is really difficult to voice an opinion without including any spoilers - now that the film is out I thought I better read this much hyped thriller before I find out about the big plot twist.
I was entertained, it is definitely thoughtprovoking and well written but I wasn´t as shocked as apparently most other readers have been (and probably should be worried now). No matter what happened, I didn´t care about any of the characters and am not fully convinced if every plot twist is 100% credible.

3 comments:

  1. well, then... pass it on to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich werde am Wochenende den Film sehen ... da bin ich mal gespannt, der soll ganz gut sein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Bester Film in den letzten 5 Jahren oder so ... und jetzt ärgert es mich, dass ich nicht vorher das Buch gelesen habe. -.- Wird aber jetzt nachgeholt. :-) Ich war im Kino übrigens mehrmals schockiert ... Buchsprechung folgt.

      Delete