Monday 7 April 2014

Where'd you go, Bernadette

author: Maria Semple
published: 2013



plot:  
Bernadette Fox is notorious.To Elgin Branch, a Microsoft wunderkind, she's his hilarious, volatile, talented, troubled wife. To fellow mothers at the school gate, she's a menace. To design experts, she's a revolutionary architect. And to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, quite simply, mum.

Then Bernadette disappears. And Bee must take a trip to the end of the earth to find her.

what I liked: Once I got used to the epistolary style I enjoyed finding out more and more about the novels epicenter Bernadette. Even though I have no connection to Seattle or Microsoft I loved reading the insightful and highly witty and intelligent rants against both.

what I didn't like: It is not exactly a page turner until Bernadette disappears.

verdict: It's an epistolary novel which means it is constructed of all different kinds of letters, mails and interviews.. First hard to grab I found myself liking troubled Bernadette a lot and towards the end really wanted to find out what had happened to her. It's an unusual book and definitely not for everyone but give it a try if you like quirky characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment