Thursday 10 April 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel

after talking to Ralph Fiennes in my dream last night (he sat at the till in a bakery and sold me cake...) I decided I best get that review written before I forget everything about the film

director: Wes Anderson
year: 2014
with: Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody, Jude Law, Saoirse Ronan, etc.

plot: The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.



what I liked: It´s unbelievably creative and aesthetically pleasing. That alone would make someone like me happy enough but on top I found it very funny and gripping enough in all it´s absurdity and exaggeration.
what I didn´t like: Don´t expect any historical precision and dont feel too offended by the lack of it. All the symbols and hints are there but that alone don´t add up to make a credible historical and serious film.


verdict: It´s colourful, it´s funny, it´s pretty, has a more or less sensible plotline and an amazing cast (with the odd German actor sprinkled in - think e.g. Adi Stadler from Lindenstrasse). First I was sceptic as I disliked the Royal Tenenbaums so much but now I´m won over. Left cinema with a big grin!

3 comments:

  1. Hach, Wes Anderson geht für mich immer. Leider stehe ich mit dieser Meinung in meinem Umfeld völlig alleine da. ;)

    Den Film werde ich mir natürlich auch noch ansehen.

    LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. really need to see this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a great movie, isn't it. I fully enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete